Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ewe Rock!



I first had this recipe in college. My best friend and roomie, Sheepie (not her real name, nickname, don't ask) was a notoriously bad cook (just don't ask her to make brownies) and so when she started raving about how great this pie was, you can't blame me for having doubts, serious doubts about trying this delectable? pie.
Now, it pleases me to report that Sheepie is bordering on the fantastic domestic goddess level of culinary skill, but back in college, it wasn't good.
Back to the pie, so Sheepie was adamant that we would all love it. However I was still dubious and I think that colored my reaction to said pie. I remember Sheep slaving away over our tiny kitchen making this creation and I thought it was awful. Slimy and curdled and just yuck. I tried to hide my disdain, but Sheepie was understandably disappointed.

Fast forward 8 or so years later and I have this random bag of apples sitting on my counter and a large tub of Greek yogurt I need to use up.

Ta-Da...what was that pie called again?
Sour Cream Apple Pie.

I have NEVER been more pleased to be wrong in my life.
Sheep was correct. This pie is golden. It's appley, it's creamy, it has a hint of spice, and the best part of all..............
it has STREUSEL. It's like the best of all worlds, all rolled up in one pie!!

I modified the recipe that I found on epicurious,
*moment of silence for Gourmet*.
Here it is:

Sour Cream Apple Pie
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust, or your own recipe, which would be much tastier, but I was and am fundamentally lazy…so until pie crust becomes a domestic skill, Pillsbury works

For the topping
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar ( I used brown, I like it better)
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2-4 shakes of nutmeg
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (you may need a bit more if you find the streusel not dry enough)

For the filling
• 1 1/3 cups sour cream (Or in my case, Greek Yogurt)
• 2/3 cup sugar (again I used brown)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 teaspon almond extract
• 2 large eggs
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
• 1-2 shakes of nutmeg
• 5 large Granny Smith apples (about 2 1/4 pounds)
I mixed it up a bit and used half Gala


Preparation
Make the piecrust as directed by Pillsbury, just don’t forget the pie weights, or you will be sad when you piecrust has little bumpy lumpy hills all over it.

Make the topping:
In a small bowl blend together the butter, the sugar, the cinnamon, nutmeg and the flour until the mixture is combined well and chill the topping, covered, while making the filling. The chilling is muy imporant, especially if you use the brown sugar. I suggest the freezer, otherwise the streusel will be more like an icing in consistency and it’s nigh impossible to sprinkle icing.

Make the filling:
In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream, the sugar, the salt, the vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract, nutmeg, the eggs, and the flour until the mixture is smooth, add the apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin, and stir the filling until it is combined well.

Spoon the filling into the chilled shell, smoothing the top, and crumble the topping evenly over it. Bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until it is golden and the apples are tender, transfer it to a rack, and let it cool completely.

Serve the pie with the whipped cream/Cool Whip. Again, lazy. But I think that whipped cream does taste better with this pie, not as sweet as Cool Whip and this pie doesn’t really need extra sweet. It’s masterful just as it is.

“I like you just as you are.” Anyone know that movie quote?

Bonus Points! Bridget Jones Diary!!!!!!!

Happy Pie!

No comments: